FAQs for Filmmakers
Can I submit my film to all HRFN festivals at the same time?
No, you have to submit your film to each festival individually.
How do I submit my film to a HRFN festival?
Go to the respective festival website (as can be found on our Member Festival page), download the entry form and send your film.
Where do I find information on the respective submission deadlines?
See the Submission Dates box on the right side of this website, or check the dates on the websites of the individual member festivals.
Where do I find the individual festival dates?
Just go to the Festival Calendar page. We try our best to keep this website up-to-date, but if you can’t find the date you’re looking for on this site, please check the respective festival’s website (to be found on our Member Festival page)
FAQs for Film Festivals
What is the HRFN?
The Human Rights Film Network is a partnership of human rights film festivals around the world. The Network promotes exchange, communication and collaboration regarding the representation of human rights issues in moving pictures. The Network was established in Prague on 18th April 2004.
The Network coordinates its activities through e-mail and internet, regular meetings and special events. An assembly of member festivals meets periodically for decision-making and elects a board of coordinators to manage the Network’s activities.
The Network recognizes regional sub-networks as partnerships of geographically close members. However each festival is represented in the festival independently and sub-networks can only be represented through the umbrella network.
Why join the HRFN?
- To strengthen your presence on the (human rights) film festival world map.
- To exchange ideas, experiences and methods with other members.
- To benefit from the network's promotional tools: cross referencing between members' websites, hrfn website, leaflet.
- To participate in joint efforts to improve human rights films exposure worldwide.
- To stimulate the human rights film climate and support its filmmakers
How much does the membership cost?
HRFN asks for a small membership fee to keep up operations and to produce and update both a HRFN leaflet and the HRFN website. There are two different membership fees. Standard annual membership fee is EUR 200,-. Festivals from developing countries pay a EUR 100,- annual membership fee.
Who can join the HRFN?
Membership to the Network is open to any human rights film festival organization that subscribes to the principles and practices as recognized by the Network and described in its charter. The festival must already have passed its second edition. HRFN values the territoriality of its members: If your festival is taking place in a country/city that already features a HRFN member festival, please get in touch with the HRFN partner from your country/city first.
How to join the HRFN?
New festivals can be accepted on recommendation by members and approval of the general assembly of the network which usually congregates place during the International Documentary Film Festival in Amsterdam (IDFA). Approval will be granted on the basis of festival track record, regularity of events and other basic information.
If you would like to join the network please
- get support from at least two HRFN members who will support your application
- send a written application (via e-mail or regular mail) to the current chair of the network, with a copy to the secretariat of the network;
- provide a short written presentation of your festival and your plans for the future;
- send at least one issue of your festival publications (folders, catalogue, etc.) to the secretariat of the network.